Sunday, February 05, 2006

Arctic Monkeys

Those little monkeys. I have to admit, the album is brilliant. Musically, it's got all of that Libertines-Clash energy, but frankly better tunes than either of those bands ever had. Lyrically, it's extremely smart and witty:


"He talks of San Francisco, he's from Hunter's Bar / I don't quite know the
distance / But I'm sure that's far"
(FAKE TALES OF SAN FRANCISCO)

and anyone who references Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em in song is alright...

"And I'm so tense, never tenser / It could all go a bit Frank
Spencer?" (YOU PROBABLY COULDN'T SEE FOR THE LIGHTS BUT YOU WERE STARING
STRAIGHT AT ME)


That's my phrase of the moment.
Total aural pleasure, and well worth the money, even if you downloaded half the tracks last year. Morning Becomes Eclectic had a live show, and some MP3s are available here if you want them.

For once - do believe the hype!