Thursday, January 29, 2009
Monday, January 19, 2009
A new mix CD. Free for the first 100 downloads and then it's gone. God bless you all.
This mix wasn't supposed to happen like this. I was making a list of songs from randomised playing on my MP3 player, but then the hard drive on my office computer broke, and while it's fixable I can't be bothered right now, so moved over to my laptop and had to start again from the tracks on there, and I wasn't really sure what I was putting together here but when it was finished it felt totally right and has its own stories. You can work them out for yourself.
This is a sociable mix, for playing in clubs I think, but the kind of clubs where people sit and talk rather than dance. A slow wintery start, with lots of old soul, and some fresh young Brighton sounds amongst other things. Aidan Moffat cuts it in half like a knife.
Take it in two bites, each being 60 megabyte downloads.
- Download side A (60mb)
1. Allo' Darlin' - Baby it's cold outside
2. Mary Hampton - The Bell they gave you
3. Ernie K Doe - Here come the girls
4. Wanna Moe Leaner - Un Dia
5. Santogold - I'm a lady (Diplo Mix)
6. Backyard Tire Fire - The Places we Lived
7. Climbers - Bookshop folk mp3
8. Martha Tilston and the Woods - A Surfer courted me
9. Elmore James - One Way Out
10. Aidan John Moffat - Good morning
- Download side B (60mb)
11. Kristin McClement - Bells Once Rang
12. Bruce Springsteen - Blinded by the light
13. Danny & the Champions of the World - Red Tree Song
14. The Brothers and Sisters - All Along the Watchtower
15. Crystal Mansion - Somebody ought to turn your head around mp3
16. Sweet Jane - You're making this hard
17. Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes
18. Ronnie Spector - You can't put your arms around a memory
19. Robert Knight - Everlasting Love
Friday, January 02, 2009
Partly inspired by an excellent night of readings at Sam and Jay's Tight Lip on Friday, I went searching for some old stories and poems I wrote about a decade and a half ago. These were printed up in a limited edition xeroxed book, of which probably no more than a dozen copies are in circulation (I still have a box of them somewhere). It received a nice review in Factsheet Five; and was later placed on the web, on a site which has now closed down, hence why I went searching.
Anyway, I thought for a while this stuff was tired and jaded, but I've decided to like it again, so thought I'd make some of it available here. If you want a copy of the rest, drop me an email with your address.
These three short stories were based around a theme of alienation from modern life, and were written as pseudo film-scripts for short films that were never intended to be filmed. I guess they work as visual poems rather than stories in the traditional sense.
The stories, and some accompanying music...
story 1 - women are
mp3 Cat Power - Be a good woman (live radio session)
story 2 - men are also
story 3 - big life v spontaneity
(aka, what is it that makes modern life so exciting, so fresh?)
mp3 Okkervil River - Our life is not a movie or maybe (radio session)